Pages


 photo crayonborder.png

Thursday, April 3, 2014

My 3rd Grade Intervention Group

Here's a peek at a typical day with my 3rd graders.  Some of it will sound the same as my 4th graders.

3rd Grade
As with 4th grade, we start our 40 minutes off with our weekly story/practice sheet from Lakeshore's Daily Comprehension Common Core Practice Journal Gr. 3-4.  They read a story on Monday and complete a quick activity for each day of the week based on that story.  Some of the things they must do is vocabulary, fact/opinion, true/false, comprehension question, etc.  This group is struggling with this.  For example, today it took them 20 minutes to answer 5 True/False questions.  That was WITH me telling them there were 3 false and 2 true.  I still had students giving me the wrong number of each let alone give me the correct answers.  I've been trying very hard to show them how to go back in the text, look for key words from the question in the story, underline where they find it, etc.

  
This group has an "everything" focus.  They need phonics, fluency, comprehension, and summary work.  So much to do in such a short time!  Since they do have a specific need for phonics and fluency, I base what we will work on off of their Nonsense Word Assessment results.  This means, I don't always use Everyday Phonics Intervention Activities from Newmark Learning like I do with 4th.  If it has something that goes with what we're working on then great.  If not, I compile various worksheets/activities into a packet.  We will do a page a day after the above mentioned work.  Again, it's quick and just to reinforce what we are doing.



After both of those things, we move on to our story of the week(s) or more detailed phonics work.  As I mentioned before we use Fountas & Pinnell's Leveled Literacy Intervention Kits (LLI).  I am using the red kit with this group as well.  I focus on DRA type questions and summaries as our comprehension work.  Once in awhile, we work on a Reading A-Z text.  We are doing that now.  It's called "What the Boys Found."


As for the extra phonics work, we have been focusing on the great (tooting my own horn) units I created!  The past few weeks, we have been spending time on "Bossy R" using my "R-Controlled Vowels 'Bossy R' Activities Packet."   They really respond to the activities in it!



And that's a peek at my 3rd graders!  Hopefully I can figure some strategies to get them to go back to the text for evidence!  Any thoughts?

No comments :

Post a Comment